The British Embassy in Cairo is seeking an innovative and ambitious Political Officer. The main purpose of the job is to provide expert analysis and advice on domestic political issues to the Embassy. The candidate will work as part of a high performing political and press team and will regularly provide advice to senior staff in the Embassy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Researching, monitoring and reporting on political developments in Egypt, including security issues.
• Providing written and oral advice and analysis on key issues relevant to Egyptian politics and UK-Egyptian cooperation.
• Creating and maintaining a strong network of contacts by building relationships with government, academia, political parties and civil society.
• Provide support to political section in other areas as required, including advice on Egyptian foreign policy and assistance with visits from the UK.
This is a busy and interesting role in the Embassy that requires a flexible worker who can contribute to the fast-paced environment. It provides an excellent opportunity for someone with a keen interest in politics, government or international relations, who would like to develop their political analysis and communication skills.
The ideal candidate will have:
- excellent English and Arabic written and verbal communication skills (essential)
- a degree in a relevant discipline, such as political sciences;
- an in-depth knowledge of civil society and political parties in Egypt;
- a minimum of two years of experience working in a related field;
- excellent research and briefing skills;
- strong organisational skills;
- the ability to be a team player, flexible, and work to tight deadlines;
- the ability to build a good network of contacts.
- Delivering Results: Able to work under own initiative and prioritize effectively. Flexible and resilient. Follows procedures and best practice.
- Customer Focus: Excellent communication skills. Acts with professionalism and integrity at all times.
- Working with Others: Works flexibly and as a team-player in a cross-cultural environment in the Embassy and across the region. Able to interact with people at all levels of seniority.
- Problem Solving and Judgment: Adaptable, uses a range of information and experience to solve problems effectively, including under pressure. Spots problems in advance and suggests solutions. Knows when to refer problem upwards
The position is B3 and the monthly Gross Salary is LE 10,750 subject to Insurance and tax as per the usual regulations. We offer a competitive package including medical benefits, performance related bonus, recreational facilities, opportunities for job related training & development, etc.
The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible, subject to obtaining the appropriate security clearance.
Please send before 7 December to BritishEmbassyCairoVacancies@fco.gov.uk email address:
b) Covering letter, of no more than 200 words, explaining why you would like to apply for the job and why you think you would be good at it.
The recruitment process will include a supervised written test.
Only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted and called for an interview. Final acceptance for employment is subject to security clearance.